United Way inspires collaborations to impact community improvement.
- Convene cross-sector stakeholders to identify and collectively address priority community issues in Education, Financial Stability, & Health;
- Acquire and leverage resources and assets toward achieving shared community goals;
- Support a collaborative network assisting individuals in meeting their most basic needs;
- Inspire all community citizens to LIVE UNITED in our mission by giving, advocating, and volunteering.
DIVERSITY AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
- Value, champion, and embrace diversity in all aspects of United Way activities.
- Support equal employment opportunity programs at both UWWC and its partners.
- Refuse to engage in or tolerate any form of harassment.
- Will not engage in any unlawful discriminatory practice.
United Way of Washington County, MD is run through volunteer governance and management committees who carefully manage its operations, so more donor dollars go to help people in our community. Donated support helps to provide basic needs, prevent abuse & neglect, care for our children, adults, and mentally disabled, provide health and mental health care and provide positive alternatives for our youth.
The United Way has developed comprehensive requirements for completion of audited financial statements. They are intended to create a uniform set of standards for all United Ways to follow in preparing audited financial statements to ensure consistency and transparency on the part of each United Way. The requirements are based on current best practices in our industry as well as generally accepted accounting principles and requirements of the Financial Accounting Standards Board. The United Way system has also developed requirements for completion of the IRS Form 990 that clarify various areas of ambiguity and establish a single United Way standard for the 990 where the IRS allows for several different approaches.
We exceed the standards for efficiency, transparency and compliance.
We disclose the findings of our annual audit conducted by independent firm Albright Crumbacker Moul & Itell, LLC.
We protect donor contributions to other nonprofits by verifying each agency's IRS eligibility.
2018 GUIDESTAR SEAL OF TRANSPARENCY
United Way of Washington County has earned the 2018 Gold Seal of Transparency on GuideStar USA. By adding information about our goals, strategies, capabilities, achievements, and progress indicators, we are highlighting the difference we help to make in the world. View our Guidestar Profile
2018 UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENTS COMPLETED
Every year each United Way is required to adhere to a set of standards and requirements that have been dictated by United Way Worldwide. In order to utilize the United Way name and brand, United Ways must successfully complete these membership standards United Way of Washington County, MD has completed all 2018 reporting requirements for United Way Worldwide, and has been granted membership in their international organization. Categories reviewed included fiscal responsibility, governance, campaign policies and success and community investments.
To view a complete list of the Worldwide requirements, visit their page here.